1. Act 1, Scene 1: what caused the fight and what did the Prince threaten if someone started a fight again? Why is Romeo so troubled? How does Benvolio promise to help him?
2. Act 1, Scene 2: Why won’t Capulet let Paris marry his daughter?
3. Act 1, Scene 3: What does Lady Capulet tell Juliet? What does the Nurse joke about?
4. Act 1, Scene 4: What do we learn about Mercutio in this scene? What premonition does Romeo have?
5. Act 1, Scene 5: Why do Romeo and Juliet fall in love? Why is Tybalt so angry?
6. Act 2, Scene 1: How is Mercutio so rude in this scene?
7. Act 2, Scene 2: What happens on Juliet’s balcony? What do the two lovers promise to do?
8. Act 2, Scene 3: Why does Friar Lawrence agree to marry Romeo and Juliet? Why is he shocked?
9. Act 2, Scene 4: How is Mercutio so rude to the Nurse? What does Romeo tell the Nurse?
10. Act 2, Scene 5: What happens at the end of this act?
11. Act 3, Scene 1 Who dies in this scene and why?
12. Act 3, Scene 2 Why is the Nurse so upset?
13. Act 3, Scene 3 How does Friar Lawrence help Romeo and Juliet?
14. Act 3, Scene 4 Why does Capulet speed up the marriage?
15. Act 3, Scene 5 Who Juliet forced to marry and why?
16. Act 4, Scene 1 What plan does Friar Lawrence have to save Juliet?
17. Act 4, Scene 4 What fears does Juliet have of taking the potion?
18. Act 4, Scene 5 Why is everyone so sad?
19. Act 5, Scene 1 Why does Romeo buy poison?
20. Act 5, Scene 2 What happens to Friar John and why is this a terrible thing to happen?
21. Act 5, Scene 3 Who dies in this scene and why? Why do the families become friends?
Now have a go at the Spark Notes quiz here and report your score to Mr Gilbert.